Monday, September 22, 2008

HS Reunion vs. Gum Disease



Oh boy.
Thursday I go to the dentist after an absence of about 16 years. The hygenist cleaned and scraped and used a sonic blaster and an hour later I'm out of the chair, new $120. toothbrush with wireless SMART GUIDE in hand and lighter in the pocketbook by another $300. I had to book two more appointments. Okay, I'm thinking if that SMART GUIDE had found me 16 years ago, I might not be in this position. But then again, I have saved 16 years worth of dental bills.

Friday night I gather all my nerves together and go to my 30 year high school reunion. About half way through the evening I'm thinking back with fondness to the hour I spent in the dentist chair. I am an introvert. Being in large groups of people who I barely know makes me want to be invisible in a corner so I can watch, or wish I was a person who could say clever things that were both heartfelt and memorable, but alas I am not. I am the person who tries to be different and honest and I say the dumbest-ass things that will haunt me for days. I am sure all of the people who were in that loud, crowded room were very nice, but many seemed to have the same script, repeating over and over What Do You Do? Not; How Do You Do, or Who Are You, or What Does your Muse Say When She Visits. No, it seems the one question that makes me squirm is asked again and again. "I make boat covers" I say to the stockbroker, the semi-retired accountant, the advocate, the engineer and the librarian. "Do you want to see my car?" I say next, so I don't have to talk about my job that is enjoyable enough, but does not fulfill me. Then I lead them to the window and point out to the dark street where my little car is parked and waiting to take me home. I wonder how all of these kind folks seem to know how to 'do the room', where did they learn this skill which I so clearly do not possess? I did eventually have a nice time talking to the other brave introverts who settled themselves in the quietest corner of the room and talked about how nice it is to stay home and knit.

Saturday is a rain day. Stayed inside and knitted. I also began to sew a patchwork quilt together that has been on the design wall all summer. So involved I became in that project that I did not venture out of the house even for a minute.

Sunday. Here is the day to catch up on the things I didn't do yesterday. There was a quilt show to see (which would have involved talking to many people and probably answering the question "What Are You Doing Now?") I didn't go. The lovely people at Compass were hosting a Show and Shine event. The questions would have been asked, but by people who really want to know, these would have been genuine. But I had already squandered my networking energy on Friday night. I stayed home and sewed more scraps of fabric together into a quilt. I helped Ken when he needed assistance in putting up a new back porch. I picked all the little tomatoes which were complaining about being out in the rain. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment